For now, this is the main index page for the free Introduction to Ghost Hunting course. It links to every lesson page, and the certificate you’ll download when you complete the course.
This course has been online since the late 1990s. In October 2013, I updated the lessons.
Note to previous students: The old PDFs and MP3s were so out-of-date, I’ve removed them. As time permits, I’ll replace them with updated versions. Until then, you can print the following lesson pages — and anything from this website — for your ghost hunting notebook.
- 1a. Welcome– What to expect in this course.
- 1b. The Basics – Things to think about before you go ghost hunting.
- 1c. Ghost hunting tools – Actually, you don’t need any.
- 1d. Protection – Something to think about.
- 1e. Who to go ghost hunting with – Never go alone!
- 1f. When to go ghost hunting – Usually, start before dusk.
- Optional: Reasons for Ghost Hunting – Understand your ghost hunting goals.
- How to find haunted places – Basic steps to success.
- More Location Reources – Public libraries and the police can be goldmines of advice.
- Ghost tours and online research – A mixed collection.
- ‘Creepy’ feelings, and local ghost hunting groups – Easy ways to begin.
- Evaluating haunted sites – What to look for, and where.
- Summary, and what to do next.
- Baseline… yourself! – Why to do this.
- Baseline preparations – Before, during and after investigations.
- Tools for new ghost hunters – When they’re useful. When they’re not.
- Preparing for your first ghost hunt – How to get ready.
- Homework – Your first ghost hunt, and maybe your second.
- Before you join a ghost hunting group – What’s good, and what’s not.
- Optional: Scams and Con Artists – What to Look for.
- Starting your own ghost hunting group – Things to think about.
- Managing a group, new members and looking professional – Even more to think about.
- Summary and conclusion – What’s next for you?
- Download and print your certificate… after you’ve completed the course. (This certificate bears the name of my original ghost hunting website, Hollow Hill. When I update this course, that will change.)