Welcome to my free Introduction to Ghost Hunting course.
I wrote this course to share the basics of ghost hunting, so you can enjoy investigations and perhaps lead some of your own.
The original course appeared online in the late 1990s. They included PDFs (the same text as the online lessons) and podcasts.
I updated the lessons in October 2013. Then, in 2016, when I moved my ghost hunting information to EncounterGhosts.com, I began adding even more updates and improvements.
I expect this to take several months. Part of this includes rebuilding the PDFs with the new information, and recording fresh podcasts.
However, all the information you really need is on the pages here at EncounterGhosts.com.
What to expect
This is a four-part course for beginning ghost hunters. Most people will complete one lesson per week. Some will finish the course sooner, many will take longer.
At the conclusion of this course, you can download a Certificate of Completion. The certificates are online, available on the honor system.
(In other words, I trust that you won’t skip the lessons in this course and simply print out a certificate for yourself.)
On this page, you’ll see a list of the lessons and the individual chapters in them.
Feel free to print copies of the pages in this course for your ghost hunting group. You don’t need my permission.
- 1a. Welcome– What to expect in this course. (You’re on that page, right now.)
- 1b. The Basics – Things to think about before you go ghost hunting.
- 1c. Ghost hunting tools – Actually, you don’t need any.
- 1d. Protection – Something to think about.
- 1e. Who to go ghost hunting with – Never go alone!
- 1f. When to go ghost hunting – Usually, start before dusk.
- Optional: Reasons for Ghost Hunting – Understand your ghost hunting goals.
- How to find haunted places – Basic steps to success.
- More Location Reources – Public libraries and the police can be goldmines of advice.
- Ghost tours and online research – A mixed collection.
- ‘Creepy’ feelings, and local ghost hunting groups – Easy ways to begin.
- Evaluating haunted sites – What to look for, and where.
- Summary, and what to do next.
- Baseline… yourself! – Why to do this.
- Baseline preparations – Before, during and after investigations.
- Tools for new ghost hunters – When they’re useful. When they’re not.
- Preparing for your first ghost hunt – How to get ready.
- Homework – Your first ghost hunt, and maybe your second.
- Before you join a ghost hunting group – What’s good, and what’s not.
- Optional: Scams and Con Artists – What to Look for.
- Starting your own ghost hunting group – Things to think about.
- Managing a group, new members and looking professional – Even more to think about.
- Summary and conclusion – What’s next for you?
- Download and print your certificate… after you’ve completed the course.